The St. Thomas More Social Justice Commission strives to put Faith into Action. We are committed to serve all God’s people and His creation In All Seasons by participating in charitable works of Social Action and by fostering a keen awareness of Social Justice. We share concern for all people and their rights and responsibilities, as individuals and as family, with special regard for the poor and vulnerable.
Chairperson of Social Justice: Mark Ray email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: (804) 243-0562.
Volunteer Opportunities With The Social Justice Commission
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY WORK DAY
Check back here for additional work days with Habitat for Humanity.
What you need to know:
- Days are divided into 4 hour morning and afternoon shifts. You can choose to work either a half or whole day.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old to be on the construction site.
- Everyone ages 17 and under must provide a waiver signed by their parent or guardian.
- Everyone must fill out an annual safety waiver. You must be there at the start of your shift to review safety instructions and daily tasks.
- Everything you need will be at your volunteer location, but you are welcome to bring your own tools &/or materials.
- Wear comfortable clothing and closed toed shoes.
- No prior knowledge or skills in construction is necessary.
For more information, contact Peggy Lyon at email@example.com or (319)230-3059 or Mark Ray at (804)243-0562 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- FAIR TRADE SALE - The STM Social Justice Committee and Green Team will begin selling Fair Trade coffees, teas and other seasonal products the first Sunday of each month beginning in October. Cash and checks will be accepted. Purchasing Fair Trade products helps producers in developing countries achieve better trading conditions while also promoting sustainable farming practices. More information can be found at www.equalexchange.coop/fair-trade"
- "The Last Shall Be First" Food Drive
"I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripplies."
~Saint Teresa of Calcutta
- The St. Thomas More Social Justice Commission would like to thank the parish community for its recent support of its Action for Africa Love Beyond Borders fundraiser lunch event. Everyone enjoyed delicious traditional African fare and helped to contribute $1,200 toward supporting this not-for-profit founded by parishioner Veve N'Duhirahe. Proceeds will be used to purchase and send medical supplies to the Diocese of Goma in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where they will be sent to rural areas of need as well as local clinics and hospitals. Thank you so much for your strong support in helping those in need.
Pictures from the Action for Africa fundraiser lunch:
Photos from other Social Justice Commission activities
Other Resources/Faith Support
Consultation of Religious Communities
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
Diocese of Davenport
Newman Center (Iowa City)
St. Mary’s (Iowa City)
St. Patrick’s (Iowa City)
St. Wenceslaus (Iowa City)